Task Force: Design a Green City
You have been selected to participate in a program that allows you to redesign your home city. The goal is to design your city to have the various features of a green city.
Why Are We Doing This?:
As the impacts of climate change continue to become more hazardous, the importance of shifting to green cities has risen dramatically. Green cities focus on trying to create the most sustainable lifestyle and be as environmentally friendly as possible. Here we challenge you to try and redesign a city to try and fit all the components of a green city.
- After doing some brief research about some green cities throughout the world, try to design a city that has features of a green city.
- How long do you think it will take to transform the city?
- What kinds of features will be present in your design?
- Who will fund the redesigning of your city?
- What problems might arise with changing up some long-held characteristics of the city?
- How do you plan to address those challenges?
- Think through the possible objections about your design that someone could have and how you would answer them.
- Share with the group and see if you can convince them that your redesigned city best embodies the goals of green cities and includes the necessary features to shift towards a more sustainable lifestyle.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- You do not have to come up with an exhaustive list of features for your city. Choose a few that you feel confident about explaining and defending.
- Try to include various features of green cities you research and pick and choose the one you think are most important.